American Federation for Aging Research: McKnight Brain Research Foundation Innovator Awards in Cognitive Aging and Memory Loss
Deadline: August 1, 2022
Category: Cognitive Aging; Memory Loss,
In partnership with the McKnight Brain Research Foundation, AFAR will make up to two awards to support studies focusing on clinical translational research and another award toward understanding basic biological mechanisms underlying cognitive aging and age-related memory loss. The major goal of the program is to build a cadre of outstanding research scientists across the United States to lead transformative research in the field of cognitive aging.
Research studies at the intersection of age-associated cognitive changes and disease-related cognitive impairment may be considered if a strong case can be made for their relevance to cognitive aging and age-related memory loss. However, research that is primarily focused on neurodegenerative diseases (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease) will not be supported.
Eligibility criteria include:
- Completed training prior to the beginning of this award (October 1, 2022)
- Independent investigator at the rank of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor (appointed no earlier than October 1, 2019), who has received R01 funding (or equivalent)
- Be tenure-track faculty or equivalent in an academic or non-profit institution with evidence of long-term institutional support as indicated by commitment of resources including independent laboratory space, start-up research funds and personnel. Candidates not in a tenure-track position are also eligible and should demonstrate similar evidence of long-term institutional support and not be in a time-limited appointment
- Have a proven track record of research accomplishments in cognitive aging as indicated by their publications in high-impact journals, awards, and other metrics of peer recognition
- Provide evidence of institutional matching funds as described in a form completed by the Dean or Department Chair
- Be in full time employment at an academic or non-profit research institution in the United States.
Please contact Lynn Wong if you are interested in applying to this opportunity.